Thursday 23 June 2011

Fennel & Pomegranate Salad with Lime and Ginger Dressing

Yes, I know it's a salad...  and it's winter. But I love pomegranates, and now is the time you will find Aussie ones in the greengrocer, for although I have planted a pomegranate tree alas I will have to wait a while before picking my own. So before you get stuck into all the winter stodge, why not try this lovely seasonal salad. Or make it as  a starter or side salad to the main meal like a vegie casserole, or a risotto? This ingredients are currently in season, and I promise you won't miss the half ripe winter tomato or the boring lettuce.


1 fennel bulb
1 pomegranate ( half to juice, half to scoop out)
1 cup baby spinach
1 carrot
1 teaspoon crushed fresh ginger
2 limes juiced
1 Tablespoon flaxseed oil

Using a vegetable peeler, slice the fennel into thin slivers. Cut the pomegranate in half and scoop out all those jewel like seeds. Juice the other half. Julienne the carrot. Toss fennel, pomegranate, carrot, and spinach in a bowl.

In a small container put the lime juice, pomegranate juice, ginger, and flaxseed oil. Shake vigorously to combine, and then toss through salad just before serving. It should just coat, not swim in dressing! If you make the dressing ahead, the flavour is more intense. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I cant wait to try this one. I actually had a fantastic salad that was similar at The Apple Bar. It also had blood oranges. I have been meaning to try and recreate it, but its been so long that I cant really remember what was in it!!! Keep up the good work btw - am thoroughly enjoying your posts x

    ReplyDelete