Thursday 29 March 2012

Red Quinoa with Grilled Zucchini & Lemon Tahini Dressing



My partner in crime, Mrs Bean bought me some gorgeous red organic quinoa on the weekend. I had been eyeing it for a little while, but was umming and ahhing because it was so expensive. But, I'm glad she did, because I used it to make an anniversary dinner for myself and the Beloved. It was  our wedding anniversary on Monday, and being a work night we couldn't go out and celebrate, so I tried to make the speediest gourmet dinner possible LOL. Anyway, this is what I ended up making. We had it with haloumi, but lemon marinated tofu would be just as delish for a vegan option Dreena Burton has a fantastic one in Viva La Vegan, just replace the thyme with oregano). It's all about making your flavour combo sing! Did I mention this is gluten free as well?

Ingredients 
Red quinoa
1 large zucchini, cut into long lengths
1 red onion
2 tsp chicken style stock powder
2 Tablespoons lemon infused extra virgin olive oil (or  zest of a lemon with regular oil)
1/4 cup approx tahini
fresh oregano leaves
either haloumi or lemon marinated tofu
cracked black pepper

Method
Cook quinoa with stock according to packet directions ( I used approx 1 cup)
Pan grill slices of zucchini and red onion, and set aside
Combine tahini, olive oil, and oregano to make a dressing
Grill or panfry haloumi or tofu.
When ready to serve, pile quinoa onto plate, top with zucchini and onion, and haloumi or tofu, and drizzle dressing over the top. Add some cracked black pepper to taste. 






No comments:

Post a Comment