Friday 29 June 2012

The Rawmazing Race: Tabbouleh in Beirut


I love Lebanese food - there is a fantastic restaurant called Sahra in Parramatta that does the best vego banquet, and it can be adapted to be vegan. They have the creamiest hummus I've ever had, and  the fattoush is perfect! The only tabbouleh that has ever beaten it would be the one made by a Lebanese neighbour we had when I was in my teens -she used to bring all sorts of things over for us to try, a lovely and very hospitable lady! So I thought I'd give it a go. Ok, so I know most people think tabbouleh is raw anyway right? It is apart from the traditional cooked cracked wheat. I substituted the wheat for soaked  red quinoa which was perfect, apart from the fact I forgot how much it swells and had heaps left over - it ended up sprouting in the fridge, and I had it for lunch as well! I also put some pomegranate in it as it is currently in season and I love it! On the side I have some raw cashew hummus, carrot and celery sticks, and some fennel infused olives. It was very filling, but I think it was basically because by this point in the week I was accustomed to eating so clean and I didn't need much to fill me up. Then again, maybe it was the quinoa? 

No comments:

Post a Comment