Saturday 13 October 2012

Vegan MoFo: Australian Lemon Myrtle Dukkah


I know I posted a traditional dukkah recipe not long ago, but this is an Australian one I did as taste testing for a wedding a while ago. The couple decided to go with the traditional dukkah, but the Sprouts & Beans agreed this one was the better of the two. So, inspired by Erin Wiko's Sydney scramble I decided I should make this one again, and post it for MoFo. I used macadamias because they are native to Australia (although many believe they are native to Hawaii, this is incorrect), and I was trying to make a dukkah from as many local/native ingredients at the time.

Making dukkah is very satisfying for me - it doesn't take long but packs a whole lot of flavour. Don't just dip bread into it though, sprinkle it on toast with lots of melted margarine, or add it to breadcrumbs if you're making tofu nuggets. Yummo!

Ingredients
1 cup macadamias
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1 tablespoon lemon myrtle
1/2 tsp mountain pepper (if you can't access this Aussie pepper, black pepper is fine too)
1/2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp sea salt flakes
1/4 tsp garlic flakes

Method
In a dry frying pan, toast each ingredient until fragrant, and set aside.
In a food processor, pulse all ingredients to a coarse crumb.

Serve with olive oil for dipping

No comments:

Post a Comment