Friday 17 June 2011

Vegan Milk Jam

A little while ago a friend was getting married, and as we cooked up a storm for her wedding, she introduced me to "milk jam" which is basically a kind of caramel. Thing is, dairy and I do not agree very well, and I started to think about how I could veganise it. So I started off with soy...disaster! It basically tasted like soap. But with sugar. Ick. I toyed with the idea of almond milk but it's expensive, and I didn't really want to make almond milk from scratch and then make the jam, especially if it didn't work out. What to do...? Searching through the cupboards, I happened upon a tin of coconut cream. And so a fantastic little vegan caramel was born...

Vegan Milk Jam
equal parts brown sugar and coconut cream

Put in heavy bottom saucepan sugar and coconut cream. It's really important to use brown sugar in this one, the high fat content of the cream prevents deep caramelisation of the sugar if yuo use white. Bring to a simmer stirring all the time. Once it reaches simmer, immediately put to lowest heat setting, and leave for an hour, stirring occasionally. You'll know it is ready when you see it has thickened and become like a thick sauce - it will thicken more once cool. Put it into a jar, and use as a spread, tart filling, dollop on ice cream.... I used them in some gluten free tart shells I made as you can see above - and they were YUMMY!

No comments:

Post a Comment