Thursday 7 June 2012

The Rawmazing Race: Raw No Fry in Shanghai


This was Tuesday night's dinner. I was cold, damp, missing the Beloved (he was a away for work), had a thumping headache from the detox process, and couldn't get the internet to work. I was SORELY tempted to give in, put the mushroom ragu from the freezer into the oven or alternatively eat something crumbed, battered and fried. Everyone I passed in Katoomba seemed to be drinking hot chocolate or eating hot chips. And everyone seemed to be eating lunch in the room joining my office and all I could smell was hot buttered toast, soup and the like. Did I mention we had a sales meeting and there was sampling of a new soup product? Nope, didn't have any - even though it was veg (and this is rare for tastings at work!)

Somehow, I didn't give in. I had a hot shower, drank a cup of fruit tea, and lit the fire. And then I made a no fry, and somehow curbed my cravings. I actually struggled eating all of it!

The ingredients were simple - baby bok choy, broccoli, carrot, capsicum, celery, cucumber, and cashews. The dressing was tamari, rice vinegar, chilli, coriander, and sesame oil. Once again, I didn't measure, just tasted as I went. I would like to make it again with some different veg combos.

And I wouldn't have minded being in Shanghai eating this and planning some tours of the city, visiting temples, and a boat ride down the river. Instead I was in my pj's on the couch trying to decide whether I wanted to ogle watch Hugh Jackman or Alexander Skaarsgard. The blondie won.

No comments:

Post a Comment