Sunday 30 October 2011

Vegan MoFo: Diwali Australian Style


This is a little belated, but in honour of Diwali (the Festival of Lights) being last week, I decided to have a go at making Jalebi.  Basically it's a batter that you use a piping bag for to make concentric circles or pretzel shapes in a frying pan, fried, drained, and then soaked in syrup. It worked out pretty well for the first attempt.  I really like the subtle saffron and cardamon flavoured syrup. I will give this another bash and try and get the finer circles that Indian cooks do so well. 


We got a box of new season mangoes quite cheaply from the fruit shop, and I decided to make a potato, spinach, coconut, and mango curry. I added some roasted macadamias (a nut native to Australia) instead of the more traditional Indian use of cashews or almonds. It was really yummy, and I'll make it again - if I can remember what I did, because I made it up as I went along!




No comments:

Post a Comment